June 19, 2011

Allergies!

When Dahlia was pregnant, I somehow developed chronic hives inside my chest and all over my body. Doctors couldn't find the cause, so I ended up just taking 2 Zyrtec a day to try to control them until they eventually put me in the ER. I haven't had an outward breakout since then, but I still feel them in my chest every now and then.
At the beginning of this year, I somehow developed lactose intolerance. My body just got up one morning and said "You know all that stuff you like to eat? Well, you can't eat it anymore." Unfortunately, medication (Lactaid) hasn't been able to relieve any of that.
Now, I'm dealing with worse outdoor allergies than ever. I've still been taking 2 Zyrtec a day and that's been great until a few weeks ago. Yesterday, we went on a one hour bike ride, and ever since then I can't stop sneezing. I even took some Xyzal, which my doctor defined as "Super Zyrtec" and that hasn't helped either. I've gone through a whole box of tissues and have rubbed my nose raw, and now I seem to even be leaking water from my nose. My eyes are itchy too, and I always feel like I'm trying to hold in a sneeze. I am afraid to even go outside at all today in fear that it might somehow get worse.
Does anyone have suggestions for allergy meds? Benadryl never worked for me (except when they mixed it with a few things and topped it off with a shot of adrenaline in the ER), and either does Claritin. Zyrtec is (or used to be) the only thing that worked for me. Have any of you found that Zyrtec doesn't help you anymore?

6 comments:

Maria Bone said...

:(Go see an allergist. And sometimes meds work differently in combination with other meds and at different times in your life.

The Doll said...

I agree you should go see an allergist and look into getting allergy shots. When ever I take allergy meds I have to always change them because my body gets used to them and they stop working. Good luck finding something that works.

Ms. said...

I vote for the allergist I have allergies (developed allergies to avacadoes melons uncooked carrots)Reading about it if your body is sensitive to certain allergies it will trigger others. Zyrtec doesn't work for me. Lactose intolerance I think is pretty common. It seems adults can become immune to the lactaid pills (I'm guessing from eating lactose for so long?) both my neice and my brother in law are lactose intolerant and the lactaid works for her but not from him. She would get terrible excema and now is fine (with less seasonal allergies alltogether)

Brendan said...

Have you tried allergy shots?

Adrienne said...

Sometimes your body builds up a tolerance to whatever allergy medicine you are taking and you have to switch. So maybe even though they didn't work before they'll work now that your body doesn't take Zyrtec anymore.
And whatever you do, don't go to Grandview Family Medicine...they suck.

The Doll said...

I've tried allergy shots. Unfortunately I was never able to get up to my tolerant dose because my allergies are so bad and my body couldn't handle it. After my 3rd trip to the ER for a shot of epinephrine and prednisone I quit the shots. Most people can tolerate them really well. I just can't.