February 23, 2011

We're In

The move went smoothly (except for the rain) thanks to the help of friends and family. We got the moving van around 10:00 and we're handing in our old apartment keys about 2:30. Sadly, no one actually stuck around for the food. So, if you helped us move and are interested in claiming your food, let us know.
We were really excited to get our washer and dryer yesterday (and internet too). Unfortunately, the dryer doesn't work too well. The Auto Dry setting (the one that senses the humidity in the dryer) doesn't work. It left the clothes still as wet as coming out of the washer (bat they were warm now). The dryer just doesn't seem to get hot enough to dry well. We tried the Timed Dry setting which goes up to 80 minutes and the first load (a small load of Claytin's clothes) took about 3 hours, and the second load (medium/large load) took 5.5 hours to dry. They would dry faster using a hair dryer. I even looked at the exhaust coming out of it this morning (about 30 degrees outside) and it was barely visible as steam (meaning really not very warm).
Home Depot is bringing us a replacement dryer, but it won't be here until next Thursday as the model is in high demand and back-ordered. I really hope the one we got is just a lemon and we don't need to buy another, more expensive model (it had great reviews). Maybe they'll send some smarter installers too (the installers ran the dryer for a couple minutes, noticed it smelled weird, and told us that smell would eventually go away, while the real cause was that they hadn't removed the old rag stuck in the vent opening to keep bugs out).

5 comments:

Becky said...

It might not be the dryer. It could be the piping that goes outside. Our dryer always too forever, but if we unhooked the vent it heated up just fine. Check that out

Brendan said...

Unhook the exhaust vent? I'd rather not have that inside the house.

Unknown said...

I think she means the vent to outside may be clogged, so if you run it unhooked and the heat generated inside the dryer is hotter, then you found your problem. Also, if that filter thing that is in the dryer is not cleaned often, it will not work well and may even cause a fire. Actually if your dryer vent piping is clogged with lint, it can also cause a fire. Just saying.....Love you ! Congrats on your first washer and dryer!

Brendan said...

The vent to the outside is literally just through the wall, and that was what we had plugged up with the rag. I haven't checked the exhaust tube itself as the installers put that in, but I will when I get home. Maybe they missed something (after all, they missed the rag we were using to plug up the vent).
I also noticed the back-left of the dryer top gets really, really hot. I'm assuming that's where the heating element is, but I've never felt the top of a dryer be that hot before.

Becky said...

sorry I never replied, but yes to what Kevin said--just to see if it gets hot, not to always run it like that...and it looks like your new blog post said it works.

Thanks Dahlia for leaving a comment on my very behind blog. Caylee just had her 7th birthday, that blog post was from her 6th birthday last year. Maybe one day I will catch up... or not! ha ha